Simply, I’m sick of all the crap 4Chan is putting the Tumblr commmunity through right now, and I think everyone else is as well.
They add rape, gore and porn images to the most common tags, because they think triggering people and causing them to inflict harm upon themselves is entertaining. That’s right guys, hilarious.
They’re planning to hack accounts on top of that.
Thankfully, many of these issues can be remedied if we can work together.
1. CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD.
This should speak for itself. With the account hacking and everything, make sure you change your password quickly for obvious reasons. You should tell your followers also that if porn, gore or whatever else starts getting posted, it isn’t your doing.
2. THE NEXT 4CHAN RAID IS SET TO BE THE 20TH OF JULY.
On this day, the 4chan members have planned to unleash their tsunami of shock images onto the trending tags. Thankfully, this can be solved if we work together. Make sure you clear those tags of 4chan’s doing by posting the stuff that you SHOULD expect to find there.
3. STAY AWAY FROM TAG SEARCHING.
Be cautious. You don’t know what to expect, and if any of it triggers you, it won’t be pretty.
4. IF YOU HAVE A HISTORY OF SUICIDAL ATTEMPTS, THOUGHTS ETC, STAY AWAY FROM THE SITE.
This is simply for your own personal safety. Even if you follow step 3, there’s a chance a blog you follow will be hacked and you will see shock and trigger images pasted all over your dashboard. No one on Tumblr wants to see that happen, and they especially don’t want you getting hurt.
5. TURN OFF ANON ASKS AND ALL FORMS OF SUBMISSIONS.
Shock images, viruses and whatever the hell else have been reported to have been sent through asks and submissions. If you see something suspicious, ignore, block and report immediately, don’t respond to it in any way. Turn off anon asks and submissions to make sure it doesn’t wind up in your inbox.
6. DO NOT PROVOKE 4CHAN USERS IN ANY WAY.
THIS WILL ONLY MAKE THE 4CHAN VS TUMBLR WAR EVEN WORSE.
7. DON’T POST ANY SELFIES WHATSOEVER.
You wanna know what 4Chan are doing with them? They are editing them onto pornography, even if the person in the selfie is underage. THIS IS ILLEGAL, IF YOU SEE IT, REPORT IT TO THE AUTHORITIES IMMEDIATELY.
8. BE WARY OF ANY LINKS.
4Chan is also planning to replace the links to suicide hotlines with links to images of committing suicide, which is the opposite of what a hotline masterpost is supposed to do. Some links have also been edited to send out a virus. Stay away from links altogether if you want to be totally safe.
9. SIGNAL BOOST THIS. A LOT.
THE LAST THING WE NEED IS TO SEE ANYONE BEING HURT BY 4CHAN’S ACTIONS. SIGNAL BOOST THIS, SHARE THIS AND REBLOG THIS AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. IT NEEDS TO BE KNOWN AND COULD SAVE A LIFE.
I just gave some money to Planned Parenthood in direct response to SCOTUS’s decision this morning. They have a matching campaign running until the end of today, where every dollar will be matched up to $100,000. If you have a few dollars, consider pitching in! And if you can’t afford anything, that’s okay - just consider spreading the word.
Seems like a good idea.
as I’ve sort of mentioned in previous posts and conversations, I have a very strong ambition to write a BIG GAY DISNEY PRINCESS MOVIE (erm, that’s only the working title) and, unless something should go terribly wrong, I’m planning for that to be my screenplay project when I hit grad school this fall. [Note: if for whatever reason Tisch is like “no you can’t write a fake Disney movie, come on” I’ll just write it outside of school, so whatever. this is happening.]
I have the protagonists all sorted out, and the basic skeleton of a plot (spoiler alert: girl is all set to marry boy, villain kidnaps boy, girl hires lady rogue to help her rescue boy, girl and lady rogue fall in love, boy is totes fine with it), but there are still a lot of unanswered questions. I know how important the idea of this movie is to me—the concept of a Disney-esque animated feature where two girls fall for each other and that’s supported and normalized—and so I think community input is crucial. We’ve all been waiting for one. All of you have an idea of what you’d want it to look like. I want to use those shapes, if I can.
Disclaimer: I can’t promise that all or even any of your suggestions will be in the final product. Thus is the nature of movies. But I appreciate every single contribution, and my mind will be open.
SO. To the questions!
1. Are there any fables/myths/legends/historical events/etc that you think would make excellent Disney-style movies that haven’t been used yet?
2. Are there any fables/myths/legends/historical events/etc that you think particularly lend themselves to queering? Why? (i.e., many people view The Little Mermaid through a trans* lens, for example) It’s fine if there’s no overlap with question 1, or if those tales have been made into movies.
3. As a member of the LGBTQA+ community, do any movies from the Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks/etc canon speak to you as being particularly queered? Why did that work for you? Were there ever moments where they lost you? (Bonus points if you mention movies that are not Frozen, Brave or Mulan, but I’m looking more for your interactions with the text/how you think it affected you from childhood into adulthood than discussions of each movie’s plot. Any movie will help.)
4. What kinds of villains tend to appeal to you MOST in animated features? Why?
5. What kinds of villains tend to appeal to you LEAST in animated features? Why?
6. What is your stance on animal sidekicks? Necessary? Superfluous? Somewhere in the middle?
7. Would it still feel like a Disney princess movie to you if there were no magic? Part of me is like “magic is a metaphor and is therefore unnecessary if they’re already gay” and the rest of me is like “BUT MAGIC THO” and I can’t decide. Too Willow-and-Tara? Crucial to the genre? Discuss.
8. What messages/themes/content do you think would be absolutely ESSENTIAL to a movie for children about a queer princess? (i.e. “I would want multiple same-gender relationships to show that the main pair isn’t an anomaly,” “I’m sensitive about bi erasure and would want that discussed somehow,” whatever.)
9. What messages/themes/content do you think should be absolutely AVOIDED in a movie for children about a queer princess? (i.e. “I’m so over homophobic parents, just let them be happy,” “Please don’t make the villain LGBTQA+ because that’s already a stigma/cliche trope,” whatever.)
10. FREE SPACE—if you have any other suggestions, or questions, or concerns, go ahead and put them here.
Okay! So you can put your answers to these questions in my submit box, or you can send it via fanmail, or you can even just stick ‘em in under a reblog. Whatever works for you! I’ll be keeping track of this post. (If we’re friends and you have my email, email me about this anytime, day or night).
PLEASE signal boost this, because again, the more input and data I have, the more I’ll feel like I can make something that represents the best of us.
(oh, and final note, people who identify as straight are also totally welcome to respond to these questions, especially 1 and 4-7. Door’s wide open, safe space, all god’s children, whatever.)